Apply "MPSALL25" at checkout.
Even if oats have been part of the human diet for years, the main use of oats has been as a feed grain. Oats usage in human foods has increased as information on its beneficial properties has come to shed light that is why it is not surprising that oats are greatly used in meal prepping most especially as overnight oats where you can make it in advance to serve as breakfast or snacks the following days.
As to its uses, it is an ingredient in a variety of bread and baked products. For the production of bread the baker can use different types of oat fractions, rolled oat, oat flour, whole oat and oat bran. Also, oats could be in dairy products, component for breakfast, oat ice cream, natural preservatives use in bread, milk, milk powder, butter, olive oil, and also coffee substitute. On the other hand, vitamins such as calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, sodium, zinc, thiamine, vitamin K and E are found in oats.
- Proven to be a low calorie food
- Rich in fiber , low levels of fat, and high level of protein
- Lowers blood sugar and lessens risk of Diabetes
- Contains zero cholesterol
- Proven to be Gluten – free
- Protects against cancer cells
- Contains exclusive antioxidants that are good for the heart
- Shields against failure of the heart
- Improves immune system
How to Select
- Instant oats – these are not cooked, and simply need hot water to be pour out. They have small amount of nutrition and are quite tasteless and soft.
- Quick oats – these are type of oats that are pre- steamed, they are cut into smaller pieces and not as tasty as other choices. The thinnest and the softest of all.
- Rolled oats – they are less processed compared to quick oats, retaining more nutrients. Also, they are pre- steamed for a quicker cooking session.
- Steel- cut oats- these are whole oats that are break into pieces. They require the longest period of cooking, very healthful and tasty. Also known as Irish oats.
How to Store
- Must be stored in sealed container to avoid moisture and pests invasion.
- Store in a cool and dark container up to 3 months and chilled for 6 months.
- Oats have natural antioxidants that avoid spoilage. Thus, oats flour has longer expiration than whole wheat flour.
Tips Preparing Oats
- Rolled oats and quick – cooking oatmeal are usually compatible.
- Instant oatmeal is not exchangeable with rolled oats or quick – cooking oatmeal. Given that it is by now cooked and dried out it can go round into a sticky untidiness.
- Oats can be use as thickeners in soups and stews.
- 3/4 cup rolled (old fashioned) oats
- 3/4 cup milk (any kind you like with your cereal)
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons flax seeds (optional)
- Layer all ingredients in a mason jar, starting with the oats.
- Add milk last.
- Place lid on jar and shake well to combine the ingredients.
- Place jar in fridge for overnight.
- Enjoy in the morning!
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1½ cups uncooked steel cut oats
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 cups unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Combine all ingredients in an electric slow cooker and whisk well. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours; stir well before serving.
- Depending on your slow cooker, your oats may still be slightly soupy. They will quickly thicken as they cool. Reheat with a splash of milk in the microwave for ~3 minutes, mixing half-way through.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt (or vanilla)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips or nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place all ingredients (except chocolate chips or nuts) into a blender and mix until smooth.
- Mix in chocolate chips or nuts if desired
- Pour batter into a muffin tin lines with muffin liners, or grease muffin tin (regular or mini)well with nonstick spray. Fill ¾ full.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes for mini muffins, and 9-12 for regular muffins.
The numerous benefits of oats are high indication of its healthy components which makes it a great addition to your weekly meal prepping.
Apply "MPSALL25" at checkout.