Meal prepping can be overwhelming, especially at the beginning. Looking back now, I could have used some outside help myself; instead of relying on trial and error. In the end I figured it out, but it took some time. Hopefully these tips will help you get into a groove, making your transition into the whole meal prep phenomenon a lot smoother.
- Invest in proper Prep Tools: Your kitchen tools will not only determine how quickly you can prepare your food, but they will also impact the end result. The better your tools are, the tastier your food will likely be! You will surely appreciate how much more efficient food prepping becomes with the some essential kitchen hardware such as food processors, blenders, and containers of course!
- Welcome Variety: When we start our meal prepping journey, we are prone to making errors. One of the common ones is making the same food over and over again. That can make you hate the process fairly quickly, resulting in you giving up and miss out on the awesome payouts down the road.
- Season with Care: When your diet is getting kind of blend, you often try to spice things up, literally. I am not against this, in fact I recommend that you do it. What you shouldn’t do is using the same spices over and over again. It can make you question your motivation and your faith in the process, which is something we want to avoid.
- Simple is sometimes Better: If you feel overwhelmed, don’t be afraid of easing yourself into the process. Cook the meals you know and like in the first couple of weeks. By the time you had enough of them, your meal prepping game will be much improved, allowing you to be bold and brave.
- Sales are your Friends: While meal prepping doesn’t always mean you have to buy ingredients in bulk, letting an opportunity go would be a mistake. Sales can be your enemy or your best friend, but keep an eye out on certain promotions, just to be sure. Chances are that sooner or later, you will hit the jackpot.
- Cook Different Foods Together: Once you got the hang of it, you will be able to do meal prepping at an almost art-like level. We’re talking about cooking different meals together, with different seasoning. It’s not just a great time saver, but certain food items will actually enhance each other’s flavors!
- Define your Goals: No matter which part of life we are talking about, it is important to have goals. It is proven that those who try to reach certain goals have a much higher success rate. This is especially true about diet. When you start out meal prepping with a certain desire in mind, you will be more hungry (hopefully not literally) and willing to go that extra mile!
- Enjoy Yourself: For a brief moment, remember that you are doing this for a reason, but at the same time lose yourself in the process! You are doing something great for your health and life in general, something that will – very likely – positively enhance your whole living experience.
- Be a Part of a Community: We, human beings, like to feel that we are not alone with our goals and struggles. When we are in it together, we are much more willing to go outside of our comfort zones where good things so often happen. Another aspect is knowledge. Whether you find an online community or hit up a conversation with a fellow gym-goer, there is a very high probability that you will gain valuable information in the process.
- Consistency is Key: No matter how hard it seems at the beginning, stay the course. Reaching our fitness goals is not easy, but it’s really worth it. When you meet the new you for possibly the first time in your life, you will realize just how great of a decision you made when you did not give up.
We highly recommend that you incorporate all of these meal prep tips once you start meal prepping for the first time and stick with it! Otherwise just use this as a food prep guide and make any necessary adjustments that is suitable for your lifestyle and situation.
Now that you have gotten down the basics it’s time to get started with the essential meal prep tools!